Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What would your guess be?

As my dining partner and I seated ourselves at the Midlothian Capital Ale House bar, we noticed two empty seats next to the two we were claiming. The seats were empty, but a half-full mixed beverage and a nearly full wine glass were on the bar.

Noticing our curious glances, the couple on the other side of the two empty seats spoke up.

"Don't mind them," the gentlemen said. "Those glasses were there when we sat down, and the people haven't been back."

"I've half a mind to drink the wine myself," the woman exclaimed.

"We don't know where they went," the man added, "but we figure they must have had a fight. Why else would you leave two perfectly good drinks?!"

I laughed and agreed.

Later, I realized so many other legitimate possible reasons.

If you could guess one thing, what would it be? Think about it, then read on.

As I realized one very possible reason - in a bar, man and woman, in haste to leave - I laughed and wondered: would young people jump to my latest conclusion, that they had better things to do, things that they couldn't do in public, while more age-advanced people would be less likely to consider that possibility?

I've done only one poll so far - our young V interns and slightly age-advanced admin assistant guessed emergencies as the reason. When I posed my latest possibility, even the young women agreed that nothing but a real emergency would stop them from finishing their drinks! So far, then, my hypothesis is incorrect.

What was your guess - and are you young, somewhat advanced, or crowned with maturity? Let us know!

4 comments:

Mariane Matera said...

Wine drinker received an urgent phone call and had to leave. Mixed drink drinker accompanied her to her car, and then decided not to go back in and finish his drink, thinking it would have been removed. Also realized they didn't pay, and if he went back, he'd have to pony up for the untouched wine.

Anonymous said...

Did the other couple actually see the mystery duo exiting the bar or were the 2 drinks just sitting on the bar upon their arrival as well?

Do we know for a fact that the Mystery Duo was male and female?

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what would keep me from finishing those drinks UNLESS it was an emergency call that required a hasty departure. Perhaps the couple had come in the same car, so had to depart together?

Although I'm now 40 years old (and more practical perhaps!), even in my days of youth, I think we would have been finishing those drinks before scooting out. Not very dramatic, but my guess is an emergency ... What a fun thing to wonder, though!

Carrie said...

Ah, the possibilities! Actually, no one knows the identity of the Mystery Duo, only the stereotypes based on "mixed drink drinker" and "white wine drinker"!